things dyslexia has taught me

 What are the 3 aspects of dyslexia?

3 things dyslexia has taught me

I might as well say it now: I have two dyslexic children, my wife and I are former stutterers, and my third child as well. I confess that at first it did not seem like an idyllic situation to me, but over the years, I changed my mind. When my second son showed the first signs of this disorder, my wife and I did not understand: we thought he was a big loafer.

The symptoms? Distraction, head in the clouds, hatred of books, concentration reduced to ten minutes a day. My, when I think of the worries of that time! But at the same time, we recognized unique gifts in our son: artistic talent, ability to relate to others, generosity, intuition, histrionic qualities, creativity and intelligence.

So why this rejection of study and school? And here is the first thing I learned, thanks to the words of a neuropsychiatrist. "My gentlemen you have a peculiar child. Not a slacker but, simply, a dyslexic, a disorder that can be managed without problems. It's a good thing you noticed it right away, so you avoided suffering for him and worry for you."

From that day we began to see him in a different way (both we and the teachers) and to value the many outstanding qualities. One good thing about dyslexia, then, is that it requires the sufferer to figure out right away what they like and do well, while avoiding the others. My two children are going through it peacefully and learning a lot about themselves.

The third thing I have learned is that we parents should not be afraid of this disorder: dyslexic kids are really unique. Just think that my son's girlfriend (also dyslexic) at age 18 wrote a beautiful book, available for free, to help understand this problem. If you want, you can download it from the Net. It is called Dyslesia-- ah no, sorry, dyslexia by Anna Rosa Confuorti. Isn't the title already wonderful?